Wednesday, June 30, 2010

You guys have played Cave Story, right?



So Uglicus has been trying to get me to watch some Japanese cartoon, and I'm two episodes in
I know that's not so uncommon a thing, but it got me thinking of a game where the ultimate goal is to kill Jesus. Obviously there is more to it than that, and it's not some teen-angsty bullshit thing, but you do end the game by shooting him in the eye a whole bunch. That's the kind of shooting people in the eye I can get behind.

This game happens to be the best game ever.


Believe I'm selling it wrong by bringing up the 'kill Jesus' thing first. It's a sorta but not really at all Jesus; a failed, mad Jesus. Even though the picture at right just happens to depict killer cherubs. Wholly coincidental, the game really isn't about that. It's about one man, singlehandedly over five years making a kick-ass side scrolling action platformer.

Maybe you're sick of the retro nostalgia pixels-are-kewlz thing, but shut the hell up. This shit is breathtaking. They're not little low-rez sprites because the game's cashing in on a fad, a guy did this. One guy. He did the art. He wrote the music, he wrote the words, that's Pixel's game*.
Oh, and uh, yeah, pixels are cool...

Game plays delicious. Our protagonist there (dude to the right with the fine robot ass in his face) moves through the world as if it were drowned in the sweetest of syrups. There are a few ways to enhance your mobility including the greatest machine gun of all time. Yeah, that's what I said.
Nice load of weapons, genuinely varied. You can go from firing rubber goddamn duckies at your foe to unloading a torrent of fucken rockets point blank into his eye socket and that feels every bit as satisfying as it sounds.

Music has the same best-SNES-game-evar feel as the graphics, in that it's pushed further than that machine could ever go but stopping short of the years of bland disk-based shit (I'm being harsh here, I know) that were to follow. Oh and crude untextured polygons.
Simple, but catchy, and emotional when it wants to be. Maybe not topping a Mega Man game in it's prime (2), but certainly broader than 'kill robots for two hours'.

'Simple catchy and emotional when it wants to be' describes the actual story pretty damn good too. There are a few dick moves in there where your first time through you will probably get a few people killed, who didn't need to die, (goddamnit Pixel why couldn't I pick up the tow-rope after the battle whhyyyyyyh), horribly counter intuitive. But when you stop to pick up that tow-rope and leave Booster to die thereby forcing him to survive and build you a better jetpack then postpone your escape from the falling skyland to check out that hut for any suspicious portals to hell you're rewarded with the most adrenaline-charged you-against-the-world first/best/only-friend-and-hot-robot-chick literally strapped-to-your-fucking-back-guns-ablaze VIDEO GAME GLORY.


It's then and only then they spring the 'kill Jesus' thing I mentioned at the start on you.


You've no reason not to play this game. It's PC freeware, great English translation (far as I know). Very fine PSP port if you've got your's hacked. WiiWare enhanced port finally came out for something like ten dollars, though unfortunately I bent my Wii and have not tried it. : (


By the way, those panties? You can totally steal 'em.

11 comments:

  1. *honestly do not recall why I know Elmo's song. Elmo was a background character when I watched that show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey hey i didnt know such game exist... think i'll try it for my psp... thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a hero today. : D

    Hope you like it. Don't think I oversold it, but it is a game that plays to my tastes and not everyone's are the same. Some people's tastes are inferior but we should pity, not condemn them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. kinda suprise that the file size for the PSP version are only 2mb, the controls quite "tolerable", most boss fight had their own move pattern and how to beat em', and most of all the coloring is to my taste... usually my definition for good PSP game are when 1 game can deplete full battery charge in a single first try... and this one pass it ^^ (heck, Metal Gear Peace Walker doesn't even blink my PSP battery in the first try...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Watch me not make a joke about the PSP's battery life. Wait, does this count? Shit...

    I bought mine second hand, already three or so years old. I understand the battery isn't always this bad. Then again, I understand the disk drive was a big draw, and the drive on this one was busted when I got it... always felt so lame buying games fair and square, and then having to download them to play.

    Oh, but we've had some fun over the years. Hundreds of hours, only about two thirds of which were Disgaea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. well... you could just plug the charge-adapter and play it without the battery inside... as far as i know the manual said that if you're playing inside the house it would be wiser to play straight from the adapter (just like any home-console)... but then again... most battery lifespan only had about 3 years -_-"

    quick question : i'm kinda pissed off after finishing the boss which supposed to be the life-support for the floating island... is Curly permanently died after she give her skill? you know... the one where you could breathe in water...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Does it really say that? Wow. I'm no fanboy, but I really hate Sony for stuff like that. Like the square button being out of place on the circuit board, and subsequently not fucking working right. Some high-up-dude basically said, 'Fuck off, it looks pretty', comparing it to the Roman coliseum.
    I still like the system, it does have it's strengths, and I mostly played it at home so the battery life wasn't much of an issue anyway. DS Disgaea port cut all the voices and looked shitty, so.

    And yes. That robot drowned. : (
    She drowned on me my first time through too, I could have warned you but chose not to. I'm sorry.
    The second time through, I checked a walkthrough, saved her and B______, and it was glorious. No such luck for poor T_____ or that dick... K___? I forget his name, gives you the sword.
    Maybe I should have warned you... shit, I'm complacent in her death... I'm not gonna sleep tonight. : (

    That game has a number of endings and is fairly short, I do recommend seeing them all. I would...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, Slowpoke here.
    What's this Doukutsu Monogatari thing you're talking about? Hohi hohi hohi hoh!
    Though the WiiWare port was very nice, the lack of a DSiWare port for this game is somewhat puzzling.

    What other indie games have you played? Knytt, La-Mulana, Trilby: The Art of Theft, etc?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmm. I'm not the biggest indie game guy, and I've been pretty horrible about completing them due to a persistent series of disasters.

    I've played Pixel's other stuff, Ika-chan and Guxt were pretty cool. There were a few tinier ones I can't remember...
    The odd Japanese shmup, here and there. Played some of one Touhou, never got crazy into it.

    Downloaded all those Trilby games, never played them. :( Bought that 'humble indie bundle' a few months back ($20, bitches), never played them. :( Does Torchlight count? I bought that half price, and have never played it. :(
    There's a common obstacle between those last two, which should be removed within a month...

    I'm pretty dismissive of flash games, but Redder was rather fuckin' badass. Anyone who cares in any way about videogames should play that one.

    I know there's a few I'm forgetting, and we (the games and I) probably share the blame. :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hm, well I see you're all set for the foreseeable future, so I'll recommend just a couple of interesting free titles that you might have missed:

    http://spelunky.wikia.com/wiki/Spelunky_Wiki
    Spelunky - an entertaining platformer with surprisingly deep gameplay, heavily influenced by rougelikes. It may not be everyones cup of tea due to its difficulty, but it's the kind of game that you just can't put down even if you're really bad at it.

    http://www.thespiritengine.com/tse2-download.php
    The Spirit Engine 2 - If you ever so much as look at RPGs I HIGHLY recommend you play this game. An interesting storyline, highly detailed pixel art, huge soundtrack of incredible quality, a unique battle system that lacks any kind of grinding... Pardon my Hype High but I simply adore this game. And One last thing:
    Don't be surprised by the level of polish in this free game, it was a commercial title until recently.

    And for desert something really small an neat:
    http://www.indiegames.com/blog/2010/07/illuminator_full_version_relea.html
    Illuminator - Small action\horror hybrid where you destroy monsters with a flashlight. It's better if you just look at the gameplay video, really.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Set and buried. I will have to look into this stuff, but all I can promise is to add it to the pile of stuffs I'll have to look into.

    Roguelike platformer? That's crazy.

    ReplyDelete