Saturday, November 6, 2010

'We had nothing to do with this one' Returns


'Lovable' by Naoshi Onizuka, translated by grizzled vet Sayo (dude been translating since I was on dialup and in diapers that time I had that thing with my bladder four years back).

This is, quite simply, the best-named tankobon I've ever read.
It would be a good idea to point out some of the better chapters but all the chapters here have their own magic about them. Even the 'magical girl' chapter, sorta. Wonderful stuff, lovable. If you're at all into the loli you should have read this by now.

There is though that one 'magical girl' chapter, the reason the book has been left unfinished for the past few months it seems. That chapter is not especially lovable, no. Rather gross tentacle rape, some cartoon violence, and 'cum inflation'. Still, it's done in a light-hearted humorous tone and I found myself liking it despite the total not-hawtness.
Other than that it's all the usual sort of stuff. Maybe it's just me but there seemed to be a higher than average amount of the 'oh my god i can't believe i'm fucking a X year old Yth grader Yth graders in the Xth year of their life are so Z' but it's mostly just me not into that.
And in one chapter alcohol plays a pivotal role but that was hilarious.

There is a fair bit of Naoshi Onizuka translated, only a couple mild bummer chapters here and there, lots of magical love gold. But you guys know all this, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment